Loving Brianna

A husband, a toddler, and a full-time job... I'm just one girl trying to balance it all!

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Graham James Wiley

I have another new love in my life!!! My oldest bestie (time, not age) gave birth to the most adorable little man January 23rd and I have been anxiously waiting to type my first love note to him because he had a bit of a dramatic entrance into this world! I didn't feel comfortable sharing MY version of his birth  story until she shared hers.  (Warning: this is a long post!)

Let's begin with a bit of the backstory.  Believe it or  not, my mother and Tara's mother shared a hospital room when they gave birth to us!  We were born six days apart and our mother's who were in their late twenties had gone to high school together back in the day.  Tara grew up down the street from me and we went all the way through school together.  We had our very own shortcut to get to each other's houses.  We did everything together.  We were sisters.  We played like sisters, fought like sisters and loved like sisters.  Very long story short... it was amazing.  

So on Monday, January 22nd, four entire weeks before her due date I received a text message while in a work meeting saying that her water broke and she was on the way to the hospital.  I was convinced it was a joke.  She had been telling me that this was a fear of hers for quite a while.  I kept laughing it off and telling her that it doesn't happen very often and it just really FEELS that way.  She and I both thought she would make it beyond her due date.  She has worked out and remained super healthy throughout her pregnancy.  Well... it was not a joke... she assured me that her water breaking was very real... in her office kind of real! I had a brief anxiety attack and told her I was going to get to the hospital as soon as I could.  She was there for me throughout my induction and she kept me calm.  I wanted to do the same for her! 

Upon making it to the hospital and walking into the room I was in tears as soon as I saw her.  This was real!  This was happening!  Tara was going to be a Mommy... and soon! I'm not going to go into much detail about her labor because this is her birth story, not mine, but I felt so much love and excitement in these early moments.  I was seeing all of Tara's hopes and dreams become reality.  That's not something you see every day!  Tara is so strong, resilient and hard working.  Always has been.  Tara and Matt have fought hard for the beautiful relationship and marriage that they have today.  There was so much love in that room... that's what I want Graham to know.  Yes, there were fears of his early arrival and crazy anticipation that comes along with any labor, but my goodness... there was so much love bursting from that room.  

Turns out Tara's strength served her very well and she was a total rockstar at labor and delivery.  She amazed me.  And I hope Tara and Matt don't mind me also saying that Matt earned rockstar status in my book as well.  I love how he loves her.  Graham, you are such a wanted, desired, and celebrated little man and you will never have to look far when you need an example of what it means to be a good man.  

Graham came into this world at 12:44 PM on January 23rd and he was a beautiful 6 pounds and 9 ounces of joy.  The minutes, hours and days following his birth were emotional and terrifying.  It became very clear that this tiny bundle of joy was a fighter.  God answered SO MANY prayers from so many people.  He was pulling through.  It is truly amazing to look at this little guy now and remember just how scary of a situation he was in just weeks ago.  With the help of some amazing nurses and doctors and the most pure form of love from his Mommy and Daddy and all of their family and friends, Graham kept making improvement after improvement... having so many of us standing in awe and appreciation.  There are so many heroes involved in this story.  My favorite?  Graham himself.  He is extraordinary.  And I think that is exactly the type of life he is destined to live... extraordinary.  

I feel my love grow for him every time I hear a new detail and quirk that has developed to form his little personality.  My heart expands when I hold him cuddled up on my shoulder as his Mommy and I catch up on girl talk.  He better get used to that girl talk... I need his Mommy and I like to think she needs me too.  Tara and I have been dreaming of our children and the friendship they may share since we were babies ourselves.  I have no words for the emotions I feel when I think of all of the memories we are going to create for Brianna and Graham.  The happiness and sheer gratitude I feel in my heart with his arrival is something I will cherish forever.  

Here is a picture I took on my phone while holding this little man yesterday.  Isn't that a sweet little face?  He looks so much like his Mommy.  


I also took some pictures of Brianna and Graham's first meeting which also took place yesterday.  I'm going to share those pictures and stories in a future post.  

I love you, Baby Graham!  Part of me already feels like you have always been in my life.  I will love you forever! 

You can read Tara's birth story on her blog: ourwileyworld.blogspot.com !

2 comments:

  1. This brings tears to my eyes! It is so easy to get caught up in the fierce love we have for our babies. Seeing this day through your eyes reminds me how beautiful it all was. Graham is so lucky to have an aunt that loves him the way you do. And I'm forever grateful to have you as my sister. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the lucky one. You are amazing... and so is my little nephew :)

    ReplyDelete