Loving Brianna

A husband, a toddler, and a full-time job... I'm just one girl trying to balance it all!

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Heroes

I wasn't sure I wanted to post about this but it has been on my mind so much that I thought I would just get it all out here. 

Warning: The post is a little graphic (and sad)

I had a doctor's appointment on Monday and as I was leaving and getting on the ramp to the interstate I turned the corner and saw a big van lose control and flip over.  The lady in front of me and myself pulled over to the side and waited while the van crashed on the cab that the driver was sitting in.  I immediately picked up my phone and dialed 911.  I sat in my car and talked to the dispatcher.  I literally could not move.  I was shaking.  I couldn't get myself to run over to the van to check on the driver.  Quite honestly, I was too afraid of what I would see and was worried I wouldn't be able to handle it.  

Luckily two more cars pulled over and two men ran over to the van and pulled the man out of the passenger side window which had obviously shattered along with all of the other windows.  The man wasn't moving and had a pretty serious head injury.  Another woman pulled over and came running and telling us she was an RN.  She helped elevate his legs and apply pressure to some of the bleeding.  The man was conscious and aware of everything around him.  

After the police and ambulance were dispatched I hung up the phone with 911.  I didn't feel like there was anything else I could do.  Once the police arrived I gave my name and phone number in case they needed a statement and shakily got back into my car and went on with my day. 

But I have been unable to forget what I saw.  What I saw was something that happened in the blink of an eye.  I saw everyday heroes come to this man's rescue.  They didn't hesitate, they ran and did what they could do to help.  Once the man was rescued from the van, I saw grown men hold this strangers hand in an attempt to provide some amount of comfort in this nightmare he was experiencing.  

I'm frustrated that I wasn't strong enough (emotionally) to pull that man out of the van.  But I'm so thankful there are people in the world that are... and do.  

This scenario has been happening a lot recently.  Michael actually saw a car accident about two months ago and the man died.  I still don't think he has recovered from seeing that.  A relative of my cousin has been dealing with recovery from a car accident for months upon months dealing with surgery upon surgery, rehabilitation and fighting with insurance companies trying to get the benefits that should be given to him without question.   

I pray for all of my family and friends and am incredibly thankful for each moment I have with them.  I pray for their safety and my own and try to remain as aware of my surroundings as possible and be alert at all times when driving.  The least we can do is not text while driving, obviously have someone else drive if you've been drinking, and maintain your car so that it is as safe as possible for you and your family.  

Okay... I'm hoping to have less nightmares now that I got this out!  Hopefully I'll be back with a more uplifting post soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment