Loving Brianna

A husband, a toddler, and a full-time job... I'm just one girl trying to balance it all!

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Perspective

When I was on my way home from work yesterday I was reflecting on how I need to be better about how much I let Brianna's two year old outbursts get to me.  Then this song came on the radio...

It Won't Be Like This for Long 
By:  Darius Rucker

He didn't have to wake up, he'd been up all night
Lying there in bed and listening to his newborn baby cry
He makes a pot of coffee, he splashes water on his face
His wife gives him a kiss and says it's gonna be okay

It won't be like this for long
One day we'll look back laughing at the week we brought her home
This phase is gonna fly by, so baby just hold on
It won't be like this for long

Four years later 'bout 4:30am, she's crawling in their bed
And when he drops her off at pre-school she's clinging to his leg
The teacher peels her of him, he says, "What can I do?"
She says, "Now don't you worry, this'll only last a week or two"

It won't be like this for long
One day soon you'll drop her off and she won't even know you're gone
This phase is gonna fly by if you can just hold on
It won't be like this for long

Someday soon she'll be a teenager and at times he'll think she hates him
Then he'll walk her down the aisle and raise her veil
But right now she's up and crying and the truth is he don't mind
As he kisses her goodnight and she says her prayers

He lays down there beside her till her eyes are finally closed
And just watching her breaks his heart 'cause he already knows

It won't be like this for long
One day soon that little girl is gonna be all grown up and gone
And this phase is gonna fly by so he's trying to hold on
'Cause it won't be like this for long



And I was in tears.  It isn't the first time I've heard this song.  But it was a good time to hear it and be reminded that I am going to miss these days.  Brianna is learning who she is.  She is asserting her independence.  And all I can do is continue to guide her to the best of my ability.


So at 2:30am, my curly headed two year old woke up crying last night.  Michael went in to comfort her.  She usually just needs a hug and her blankie and she goes right back to sleep.  He got back in bed and ten minutes later she was screaming again.  I went in to try to calm her down but she wasn't having it.  Remembering my realization on the way home... I picked her up and took her into the living room to cuddle with her.  We don't allow her in our bed.  Around 3:30am I was really sleepy and she was still wide awake.  I broke our rule and took her to our bed.  She cuddled in between Michael and I, reached over and touched Michael and said "Hi, Dad." And then went right to sleep.  

We woke up this morning and for a moment fear crept over me.  What have I done?  She'll never sleep in her bed again! Then I saw her sweet face curled up against me and she looked so content.  It will all be okay.  She WILL sleep in her bed tonight.  And I'll be thankful in a few years for the memories I have of late night cuddles and how happy she was snuggling with Mommy and Daddy.  

It won't be like this for long!

1 comment:

  1. So sweet Tammi! I think I'm treasuring Eli right now especially because of this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete