Loving Brianna

A husband, a toddler, and a full-time job... I'm just one girl trying to balance it all!

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sleep is for the Weak

Please don't judge... yes, it is 4:11am on September 11th. 10 years since our nation's tragic terrorist attack and I can't sleep. I've been watching the specials on television and reading what i can in short bits and pieces. It very well be the disturbing, very real images are stuck on mind. It also may be the fact that for the past 2 weeks I have had a sick baby that wakes up screaming every 5-40 minutes all night long and is fighting sleep during the day. She is doing much better sleeping through the night other than an occassional coughing spell but the naps are not happeneing during the day. She is tired, mommy is tired, she cries, and so sometimes mommy cries too.

The part that I'm asking you not to judge is that I'm not reflecting 9/11 or motherhood. I just ate a piece of cold pizza and opened a book I picked up a while back . I picked it up at a Border's closing sale. Probably after another week of no sleep when I was feeling frustrated about being a working mom. Let me share with you the introduction. If you have had kids or a have a friend with kids... I hope you find it as hilarious as i do. Chances are... the lack of sleep has gone to my mind but i truly believe this is funny stuff.

The Book: Balance is a Crock, Sleep is for the Weak: An Indespensible Guide to Surviving Working Motherhood
Written by: Amy Eschliman and Leigh Oshif
(exceprt from the very first few paragraphs of the introduction)

"Do you recognize this woman? She's always screeching up late to the office carrying a stylish pleather breifcase, a computer bag, and a Venti nonfat latte, while wiping some offending organic material off her shoulder. By six a.m., she'd packed two lunches, flipped hte laundry, negotiated a backup nanny for next week's business trip, referreed an argument over "orange bear," coordinated a service call with the cable company to coincide with a conference call to discuss the latest contract negotiation, AND found her husband's wallet.

So it's no wonder that when you greet her with a "Good morning," she either screams "Great!" or looks too spaced0out to hear you. In meetings she's the master of efficiency and laser-focused on wrapping up at 4:55pm. And the last time the gang asked her to drinks after work, tears welled up in her eyes. Once the epitome of "tucked and belted," you could swear that's the third time this week you've seen her wear that skirt. Shemight not be "killing it" at work like se used to, but you can tell she's going to DIE trying.

Aaahhh. Now you recognize her. It's the working mom in the office... the one who either just returned from maternity leavev or got hit with the brick that she's working a full time job with a kid (or more) to raise, a household to run, ,and the dawning realization that she hasn't had a moment to herself for the last eighteen months. your best friend? Your boss? Oh, it's you. YOU! you're the one with the Crazy Eyes. Welcome tot he party! We've been waiting for you to arrive."

Yes, that struck a nerve with me :) I think I may be sharing more from this book as a find moore short moments at 1am to read a few chapters in an attempt to have a little "me" time before the screaeming begins again.

Okay... I'm going to try to go squeeze in another half hour of sleep before its time to get us both ready for church. This is going to be another day in paradise :)

No comments:

Post a Comment